Man Reunites With Medics, Firefighter Who Saved His Life At Jenks Baseball Game

Man Reunites With Medics, Firefighter Who Saved His Life At Jenks Baseball Game

An 80-year-old man is lucky to be alive after collapsing at his grandson's baseball game. Thankfully, a firefighter, two medical professionals, and a defibrillator were nearby.

They all met on Thursday to talk about Saturday's life-saving moment and said it was a true testament to teamwork.

Phil Elias is now out of the hospital. Everyone agrees, it was a terrifying situation to be in, but it couldn't have played out any better.

The last time this group was all together, they saved Phil's life.

"Went to my young-in’s game. That's what it's all about,” said Phil Elias, survivor.

What came next was remarkable teamwork; not on the field, but under a pavilion.

"Oh my gosh, that is a Godsend. I mean it was more than coincidence. I mean you drop over dead, and there's these people, all qualified individuals,” said Phil.

Phil's wife said it happened so fast. "I just turned around, looked at him and his eyes had already rolled back,” said Sherry Elias, Phil's wife.

Sherry turned around and asked Kate Copass to call 911, not knowing Kate is a nurse.

"It was all a blur. There were so many people around him doing their job. Thank God for them,” said Sherry.

Kate wasn't even supposed to make it to her son Maverick's game on Saturday.

"I jumped up and I came around and I looked at Phil and I assessed him, and he didn't have a pulse,” said Kate Copass, a Hillcrest nurse.

"The screaming was terrifying,” said Maverick Copass, a baseball player.

They got Phil on the ground. Kate immediately started chest compressions and requested an AED.

"Are you sure? Are you serious? Like I just did not know what to do, so I went over the concession stand and asked for it,” said Maverick.

Lieutenant Johnny Rutledge with the Tulsa Fire Department was getting ready to coach his sons' game when he heard yelling.

He took off running toward Phil, a family friend, to help with chest compressions.

"If you ever see anybody in need, I feel like it's kind of human nature anyways to want to help. You've just got to take that first step to help somebody and everything else just falls in line,” said Lt. Johnny Rutledge, TFD and coach.

Maverick delivered the AED to his mom and then comforted other kids as they brought Phil back to life.

They said having an AED quickly accessible before fire and EMSA arrived made all the difference. They believe it’s remarkable that the 16-year-old working the concession stand knew exactly what it was and grabbed it without hesitation.

"If that wasn't here it might be a whole different story we’re doing here,” said Lt. Rutledge.

The Jenks Youth Baseball President said this equipment is very important, especially in areas with big crowds.

"It makes you realize that we don't just need one. We need multiple because we're on 22 acres,” said Mike Henderson, President of Jenks Youth Baseball.

Mike said the tournament directors for USSSA did an amazing job with crowd control and safety over the weekend.

Maverick said he's proud of his mom. "Very proud,” said Maverick.

"I appreciate that so much,” said Phil. "Now we get to watch the little guy play more games,” said Sherry.

Phil said God made sure the bases were loaded. "You would have to not be very smart at all to think otherwise,” said Phil.

The next day, Johnny's team played against Phil's grandson and won, but Phil was the real winner.

Johnny walked over, handed the Elias family his Championship Ring, and said, "we won this for Phil."

Jenks Youth Baseball wants to buy additional AEDs; they are a nonprofit and always grateful to receive donations. They are thankful to the organization that is donating the complex six walkie talkies.

The Jenks Fire Department has plans to come out, set up a booth, and give lessons on how to use the device.