A new study has found that people who follow a vegetarian eating plan lost twice as much weight as meat eaters who cut calories. Plant based diets change our bodies fat storage, as well as our sensitivity to insulin. People who adopted a plant based diet found that they had more energy as well! I noticed that even after a few days of eating a completely plant based diet!
I started very slowly when transitioning to a dominantly plant based food plan. I think that is the key! If you eat meat every single day and all of a sudden take it away, the likelihood of sticking with it is not very great. Maybe it is even substituting ONE meal per week with a plant based ingredient. Any lifestyle change that you make must be made in small steps so your body and mind can adjust. However, I still have meat a couple of times a week. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. There are still some nutrients in meat that are hard to find elsewhere, but everything in moderation is always good. For me, the meal that I made all plant based was breakfast! There are so many yummy vegetarian recipes for breakfast. My absolute favorite is tofu scramble! I love it so much more than eggs and you can make it ahead of time in larger portions to last throughout the busy weekday mornings!
- 1 package firm tofu (19 ounces)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- ground pepper to taste
1. Drain tofu and score into cubes (There is something oddly satisfying about cutting tofu. Am I weird?)
2. Add broth to skillet and set to medium-high heat.
3. Add tofu to broth and chop into smaller pieces using a spatula.
4. Once you have chopped the tofu to your desired consistency, raise the heat.
5. Stir the tofu to make sure it is evenly cooked, and if necessary add more vegetable broth to the skillet at this time.
6. Let cook for about 10 minutes.
7. Add in your garlic, nutritional yeast, and pepper. Season to taste.
I eat this for breakfast every morning and honestly look forward to it! It is so yummy! You can also add omelet ingredients if you want to add fresh veggies!
Nutrition is a fun and rewarding journey so don't be so hard on yourself if you don't succeed right away. No two journeys are ever alike either, so make it your own and enjoy!
For more recipes or if you have any questions, please follow me on social media.