Today's Healthy Recipe (Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta)
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
This zesty Cajun-style pasta is full of lean chicken, peppers and onions. Serve with sautéed green beans.
6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
· 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
· 1 tablespoon canola oil
· 2 slices bacon, chopped
· 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
· 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
· 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (see Tip)
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
· 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
· 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
· 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
· 1/2 cup sliced scallions for garnish
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook stirring, until the onion and bell pepper are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
3. Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream.
4. Stir the pasta into the sauce. Serve sprinkled with scallions, if desired.
· Tip: We used a Cajun spice blend that contains salt. If you have a blend without salt (check the ingredients label), season the sauce with salt to taste.