Today's Healthy Recipe (FireHouse Frito Pie)
Firehouse Frito Pie
Classic Frito pie is a pile of Fritos topped with beefy chili and runny cheese often made straight in the chip bag! Our refined and lightened version is fresh-tasting and delicious. A whole 1/2 cup of chili powder gives it plenty of punch, but be sure to use mild chili powder. If you have spicier chili powder, start with 1 to 2 tablespoons and taste as you go. Top with tomato, lettuce and just a little cheese (hold the Whiz, please).
· 1 tablespoon canola oil
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
· 1/2 cup mild chili powder
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1 large zucchini, shredded
· 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
· 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
· 16 5- to 6-inch corn tortillas
· Cooking spray, preferably canola oil
· 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed, divided
· 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese or sharp Cheddar cheese
· 1 medium tomato, diced
· 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
· 1 bunch scallions, sliced
· Pickled jalapeños (for garnish)
1. Position racks in middle and lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and turkey; cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add zucchini, tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally and maintaining a simmer, for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray. Cut them in half, then cut each half into 1-inch strips. Spread the strips on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Bake, rotating the pans from top to bottom and stirring halfway through, until crisp, about 25 minutes.
4. Mash 1 cup beans in a bowl. After the chili has simmered for 30 minutes, stir in the mashed beans and whole beans. Cook until the beans are heated through, about 3 minutes more.
5. To serve, place about 3/4 cup tortilla strips in each of 8 shallow bowls. Ladle about 1 1/4 cups chili on top. Garnish with cheese, tomato, lettuce, scallions and pickled jalapeños (if desired).
· Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chili (Steps 2 & 4) for up to 2 days.