Big Bowl Football Game Healthy snack idea (Crab Quesadillas)
These quesadillas have an irresistibly creamy filling. They also make great appetizers. Make it a meal: Serve with your favorite salsa on top and a cup of black bean soup topped with chopped avocado.
· 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
· 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
· 4 scallions, chopped
· 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
· 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
· 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, (optional)
· 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
· 1 tablespoon orange juice
· 8 ounces pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
· 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
· 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1. Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.