Today's Healthy Recipe (Chinese Chicken & Noodle Salad)
Chinese Chicken & Noodle Salad
This delicious Chinese-inspired salad is crisp, crunchy and cool with shredded cabbage, carrots and chicken breast tossed with toasted ramen noodles and slivered almonds. The dressing is an addictive orange, sesame, ginger and soy combination—you may want to double the dressing and save some for a salad the next day.
· 1 3-ounce package low-fat ramen-noodle soup mix , (see Note)
· 1/4 cup slivered almonds
· 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
· 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
· 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
· 3 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 3 tablespoons orange juice
· 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
· 5 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
· 5 teaspoons sugar
· 3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
· 2 cups shredded green cabbage
· 1 medium carrot, shredded
· 3 scallions, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Crumble ramen noodles onto a large rimmed baking sheet (discard seasoning packet). Add almonds, sesame seeds and canola oil; toss to coat. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir, then bake until the noodles are golden brown, about 5 minutes more. Let cool on the pan on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, place chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan with water to cover. Add ginger and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board to cool. Using forks, shred into bite-size pieces. (Discard the poaching liquid.)
4. Meanwhile, combine orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk or shake until the sugar has dissolved.
Just before 1. serving, combine the shredded chicken, cabbage, carrot and scallions in a large bowl. Add the toasted noodle mixture and the dressing; mix well.