today's healthy recipe (Crab Cake Burgers)
Crab cake Burgers
These burgers have a true crab flavor that isn't masked by fillers or strong seasoning. Serve on a bun with tartar sauce or with a lemon-juice-dressed salad of greens, sprouts and sliced peaches. This recipe works best with convenient pasteurized crabmeat, usually found in the refrigerated case near the fish counter. If you prefer lump crabmeat, cut it into small, uniform pieces.
· 1 pound crabmeat
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, (see Note)
· 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
· 2 tablespoons minced chives
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon celery seed
· 1 teaspoon onion powder
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
· 4 dashes hot sauce, such as
· 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
· 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1. Mix crab, egg, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, chives, mustard, lemon juice, celery seed, onion powder, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl. Form into 6 patties.
2. Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the butter stops foaming. Cook the patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
· Note: Panko breadcrumbs, also known as Japanese breadcrumbs or bread flakes, are coarser in texture than other dried breadcrumbs. They produce a crispy crust and are less likely to become soggy than finely ground breadcrumbs. Look for panko in the Asian food section of large supermarkets and in specialty Asian markets.