Today's healthy recipe (Chicken A la' King)
Chicken A' La King
6 servings, about 1 cup each
· 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
· 10 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
· 1 large green bell pepper, diced
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
· 1 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
· 1 cup low-fat milk
· 1 4-ounce jar sliced pimientos, rinsed
· 1/2 cup sliced scallions
1. Toss chicken and flour in a medium bowl until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reserving the remaining flour, add the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in sherry; bring to a boil and cook, stirring to scrape up any browned bits, 3 minutes.
3. Whisk broth and milk into the reserved flour until smooth. Stir the mixture into the pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in pimientos and the chicken and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in scallions and serve immediately.
· Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.