Cardio Radio's Healthy Recipe for today
Here's a salad version of America's favorite sandwich. We use shredded tomato as a base for the creamy tomato-and-chive dressing—adding great tang and flavor along with extra vitamin C.
4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
· 1 cup cubed whole-wheat country bread
· 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 4 medium tomatoes, divided
· 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
· 2 tablespoons minced chives, or scallion greens
· 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
· 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
· Freshly ground pepper, to taste
· 5 cups chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
· 3 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread with oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Cut 1 tomato in half. Working over a large bowl, shred both halves using the large holes on a box grater. Discard the skin. Add mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), vinegar, garlic powder and pepper; whisk to combine.
3. Chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, romaine and croutons to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.